Friday 2 April 2010

Blaizing Inspiration

As I eagerly await my set of instructions and burly shopping list before my first class, I've been getting inspired by re-watching my well-loved copy of 'Burlesque Undressed'. (always aim high!) Sure, the film is pretty much a promotional video for Immodesty Blaize, but so what? Of all of her performances, it has to be her signature act 'Miss Blaize N Saddles' that has to be my favourite (sadly the version I link to here is an edited, paired down version to the one shown on the DVD and doesn't show the Philip Treacy headdress)- but the concept is so audacious, her attitude so fearless, that you can't helped but be swept up in it. I'm also a huge fan of the roaring big band music she uses, providing her extreme old school glamour the perfect back drop. Heaven. Back in beginners reality (!) I have just been reading that Jo Weldon, Headmistress of the New York burlesque School, is bringing out 'The Burlesque Handbook' in June. While I can't find much about it's contents yet, her vast knowledge and experience of the business is sure to mean it will be full of useful stuff (and hopefully some wonderful pictures!) Speaking of which, Jo has also just created a burlesque group on Flickr with thousands of photos of performers- oodles of inspiration to be found there too!